Re: google analytics and .htaccess

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: google analytics and .htaccess
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:35:38 +0100

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 02:18:13PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Op zondag 27-06-2010 om 14:18 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
> > Percival:
> >
> >> 1)  it would be nice if google analytics could tell us info about
> >> how people use the new website.  This may require tweaking
>
> Just browse around a bit on the analytics pages and play. There is a
> view where you can see how many people click each link on each page,
> which shows you how people use the site.

Aha!  I did a bit of "browse randomly", but didn't discover that
one.

> I also have a goals defined (a click on the download link), and there
> is a view that shows you through which path people reach the goal.

I noticed some javascript code on the old webpage about a goal.
Relevant questions are:
- do we want to bother with this for the new website?
- if so, is this a "release-critical" goal before the new website
  goes live, or something we can add 3 months later?
- can goals only be reached by clicking on a link on a page, or
  can they be reached just by arriving at a page?
- the main lilypond website has a brute_force.query() javascript
  thing; I have no clue what that's about.
- who's going to write the patch to add it to our build system?
  do we dump it in script/build/website_post.py, or work it into
  the texinfo init file, or use a manual "@address@hidden html" in
  the doc source, or add the raw html to our doc macros, or...?
- what are the goals?  off the top of my head, I'd say "text
  input", "download stable", "help us", and "download unstable".
  Are those reasonable?  too many?  too few?  etc.

None of these questions are terribly complicated, but they *do*
require some work, and my first priority has to be making sure
that our new contributors know what they're doing.