Re: [Request/Bounty] Accordion push and pull symbols

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Request/Bounty] Accordion push and pull symbols
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:26:51 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> I've got a draft of accordion push and pull symbols.  Please let me know
> what you think of them.

The positioning in the images is off: the symbols should slightly
precede the notes, in particular the pull symbol's vertical bar: if
there are one-columned fingerings or accents on the notes, they should
not require much shifting.  That's different to how bowing instructions
are placed, and arguably problematic for fast changing passages.

Now the scans I produced are from a somewhat older instrumental school,
so they may be a bit overdone (it is astonishingly hard to find good
references since much accordion music is not giving bellows directions
apart from some orchestral stuff, and if they do, they are often placed
manually).

However, one has to be aware that an accordion is a polyphonic
instrument often notated on multiple staffs, so in contrast to the usual
violin score, you may have a large note column including material in a
second system that is affected by the directional change, so it is
conceptually tied closer to the system (or a two-staff subsystem) than
to actual noteheads.

I like the overall look of the symbols, but it may well we that shifting
to the "natural" place should already be accomplished in the symbol
rather than the engraver.