Re: Suggestion for CG - make targets section

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Suggestion for CG - make targets section
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:40:57 -0600

On 8/17/10 12:45 PM, "Ian Hulin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm just recovering from building and testing my first docs patch
> *{s\h/u\d/d\e/r\}*.  As I didn't know any better, I had to resort to
> doing make doc and make doc-clean while developing the patch.

Yes -- make doc is a disaster for developing.  It helps a little to do

make -jN CPU_COUNT=N doc

where N = the number of your cpu's plus 1.

It also helps to avoid make doc-clean.

> Firstly, what's the grown-up doc developer's way of this without having
> to kick off your make doc run and then leave it going overnight every
> time you notice a typo in the doc source?

I have a couple of things I try:

1) Do most of the typos and check them in the info build (created using
make) instead of in the web docs.

2)  Try to develop the ability to trigger the builds you need with the touch
commands shown in CG.  See "Known issues and warnings" under "Building
Documentation" in CG 3.6.2.

> Secondly, wouldn't it be really useful to have a section 3.5.5 in the CG
> which lists all the useful make targets and tells you what they're for?

Some time ago I proposed a CG section on the LilyPond build system.  But it
got sidetracked.  You can see the proposed organization here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/29445/focus=29492

make help

gives a pretty good (albeit terse) description of the make targets.  But I'm
not sure how accurate it is.

Thanks,

Carl