Re: Reference checking py script [was Re: Suggestion for CG - make targe

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Reference checking py script [was Re: Suggestion for CG - make targets section]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:55:17 +0100

Neil Puttock wrote Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:41 PM

On 18 August 2010 13:13, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

I've done this now. See scripts/auxiliar/ref_check.py.
Its action is driven by scripts/auxiliar/ref_check.tely
Just run it at the top level in the git repository to
check (most of) the cross-references in the doc tree.
There are no input parameters.

Doesn't this just do the same as check_texi_refs.py? There's a target
to automate calling that: `make check-xrefs'

Not quite.  I wrote my script a couple of years ago before I
could compile the docs, so it works solely on the doc sources.
I still prefer to do all my doc editing in MinGW in Windows,
so all I have available are the doc sources.

AFAICS check_texi_refs.py also searches out-www which is
only generated after the docs have been compiled, so it can't
work under Windows.  This does enable it to check those parts
of the docs that only exist after compilation; my script has to
skip those.  But this is quite adequate to check if my recent
changes have messed up a xref.  John's script is more a tool
for use by someone building the docs for a release to make
sure nothing is broken.

Also John's script is more complex, as it is interactive and
attempts to fix broken links; mine is much simpler - it only
checks and reports.

I tried make check-xrefs in my ubuntu system to see what it
did:

Make: *** No rule to make target `check-xrefs'. Stop.

Trevor