Re: request for help for research from Guatemala

From: James
Subject: Re: request for help for research from Guatemala
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:59:39 +0000

On 03/11/2010 21:20, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

My reply was really aimed at other lilypond developers -- I wanted
to discourage developers from taking it seriously and wasting half
an hour helpfully describing stuff in an email to such a student.

I think it should up to those developers to decide whether such time
is 'wasted'.

Yes that's true.

But I also happen to think it is a often good exercise (as I was the first one to answer) at least from my own point of view as by answering that question I now know a bit more of the layout of the website (i.e. where to find this stuff) also what the best documents probably are and perhaps others (who read the thread) may 'learn' something - oo! I didn't know that was there or I've never thought of that or even tell me my answer was wrong and so on.

We rarely know as much as we think we know. And as has often been proven, what 'ought' to be in the manual sometimes isn't even though I was damned sure it was there last time I looked.

We all get to learn something, I get to learn where things are on the site, others can see if what they thought he answer was is the one I said and correct me if I am wrong or take away something from the email, so regardless if I've done his homework for him, we can all get something out of the 'silly' questions.

Although I think all I did was point him to the manuals to read but also the Wiki article (which is NOT our manual) which I happened to find quite useful for a good general over view of what the product does.

James