Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:22:48 -0000

Keith E OHara wrote Sunday, November 07, 2010 2:54 AM

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 18:20:08 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]
And lastly, I still think reference/opposite is better than
related/unrelated:
nonstaff-referencestaff
nonstaff-oppositestaff
But I won't protest.  Any last thoughts/votes, or should I
go ahead with the proposals listed above

I had imagined you would simultaneously change
      staff-affinity  (UP / DOWN / CENTER)
to    reference-direction (UP / DOWN / CENTER)
so we can remember that this direction tells us which staff is which between referencestaff and oppositestaff.

We might convince Mr Daniels that this is good enough reason to support your (unabbreviated) preference, or he might come up with an even better suggestion for the variable that chooses which direction is the 'related' direction.

My rationale is to choose words that stand-alone and carry a clear
indication of both the underlying concept and the relationship to other
properties.

I like "staff-affinity" because it means an attraction to or relationship with a staff. Sounds just right. "reference-direction" is OK too, but suffers from
not indicating "staff" as the relevant object.

"referencestaff" in itself satisfies my criteria, and I'd be happy with that, but I don't like "oppositestaff". It has no meaning in itself, as there is no indication in its name what it is opposite to. You have to remember it is it is one of a related pair and its partner is called "referencestaff". OTOH "relatedstaff"/"unrelatedstaff" both stand alone with clear meanings, and with a clear association with "staff-affinity", as one of the meanings
of "affinity" is "having a relationship".

All that said, I'm not going to protest against any of the recent proposals; they're all an improvement over existing wording. All I have is a preference, nothing stronger. Others have other preferences, and, having stated my
case, I'm happy to go along with the majority view.

Trevor