Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 23:58:23 -0000

Carl Sorensen wrote Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:00 PM

On 11/3/10 2:49 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

Trevor wrote:
I wonder if affinity/nonaffinity are optimal.  Are they
better than relatedstaff/unrelatedstaff?

Or target/opposite, reference/opposite, refstaff/oppstaff?

Actually, now I really like refstaff/oppstaff:

ref and opp are abbreviations and not good for non-native-english speakers.

+1 Abbreviations are bad, bad.

nonstaff-associatedstaff-spacing
nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing
nonstaff-freestaff-spacing or nonstaff-isolatedstaff-spacing

Looking at a thesaurus, I have some more ideas:

nonstaff-relatedstaff  vs. nonstaff-unrelatedstaff

That was my original suggestion :)

nonstaff-linkedstaff vs. nonstaff-separatestaff
nonstaff-attachedstaff vs. nonstaff-detachedstaff
nonstaff-affixedstaff vs. nonstaff-releasedstaff
nonstaff-alliedstaff vs. nonstaff-foreignstaff
nonstaff-alliedstaff vs. nonstaff-disjoinedstaff

I still prefer nonstaff-relatedstaff/nonstaff-unrelatedstaff

How do you feel about
  staffgrouped-staff-staff-spacing ?

If we're going with this idea, I'd prefer

 groupedstaff-staff-staff-spacing

since it's better english than staffgrouped IMO.

I could live with this, although

 groupedstaves-staff-staff-spacing

is even clearer.

It's the same length as
  within-group-staff-staff-spacing

but it has one less hyphen, which for some reason I consider
an advantage.  Although I might prefer within-group anyway.
Now, if we do use
  within-group-staff-staff-spacing

Maybe it's withingroup-staff-staff-spacing.

This looks the best so far to me.

I thought we might as well shorten
  staffgroup-staff-spacing

  group-staff-spacing .

What do you think?

I prefer staffgroup-staff spacing, since it's a staffgroup object, not a
group object, that we're trying to space.

+1

Renaming proposals, round 3:

CURRENT NAME       PROPOSED NAME            TD's PREFERENCE
next-staff         staff-staff
default-next-staff default-staff-staff

inter-staff        nonstaff-refstaff        nonstaff-relatedstaff
inter-loose-line   nonstaff-nonstaff
non-affinity nonstaff-oppstaff nonstaff-unrelatedstaff

between-staff within-group-staff-staff withingroup-staff-staff
after-last-staff   group-staff              staffgroup-staff