Re: Byzantine chant and microtones

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Byzantine chant and microtones
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:42:28 +0100

On 11 Nov 2010, at 18:47, Erich Enke wrote:

If you like, you might start using staff notation alone: there are similar scales in oriental (Persian/Arab/Turkish) music. One then introduces some
microtonal accidentals.

I have looked through some Byzantine scales, and can see more or less how to do it. You might use E72 or E53, the latter if you learn Graham Breed's
implementation.

Thank you for the pointers.  Since translation to Western notation
remains a goal of mine, it would make sense to develop the staff
notation.  The responses were encouraging enough that I'll begin
looking into implementing this in lilypond.

LilyPond comes with a file makam.ly which you might try modifying. I think you should replace the the denominator 9 with 6 to get to E72. Turkish Arel-Ezgi-Uzdilek (AEU) notation has an error: the sharp symbol is assigned the wrong value, raising 4 commas (E53 tonesteps), instead of the 5 for correct transposition. You can see it here:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makam
So make sure to get the sharp the right value. This may not be a problem in E72, though.

You might choose another set of microtonal symbols, or not write them out at all, but they would be needed internally to get the right MIDI- files intonation.

When looking through the Byzantine definitions, I could not see the soft and hard chromatic scales are the same scale but different tunings, or different scales. If they are different scales, you might want to have special microtonal symbols for them, otherwise use the same set, but admit them change values.

I will show how to do a transposable theory for the hard chromatic scale, using the folloing values:

Hard Chromatic
  Pa  Vu  Ga  Di  Ke  Zo  Ni' Pa'
    m   P   n   M   m   P   n
  m + P + n = P4

1. Νεχεανές (Necheanes), 1881.

     Necheanes  E72
  m  256/243     6
  M    9/8      12
  P  243/200    20
  n   25/24      4

Here, the m and M are the minor and major seconds of Pythagorean tuning. So start off with a staff system for that. It is the system of all intervals p m + q M, where p, q are integers. Sharps and flats alter with the amount M - m. Then number p + q is a universal scale degree, which the accidentals do not change.

Now, we need to reach P and n, but one is unnecessary, acting just as a filler. So choose n. Then the system above is extended to all intervals of the form p m + q M + r n, where r = 0 or -1. In Turkish music, one can also have r = 1; in Persian and Arab music, one only needs r = 0, 1.

In Turkish music, this happens because the perfect fourth P4 is divided as
  n  P  n
So in order to down P, one needs to use both n and -n. In Persian and Arab music, one divides P4 as
  n  P  m
so only n is needed.

So compare this with the Byzantine soft chromatic scale, which in some versions is divided as in Turkish music.

This affects the number of accidentals needed. For each n and -n, one needs two accidentals to go from m resp. M to n or -n. So in Turkish music, one needs 4 microtonal accidentals, but in Arab and Persian music one only needs 2.

Now return to the hard chromatic scale above. Since n is smaller than m, one can use n' := M - n = 12 - 4 = 8 instead. Then one needs a microtonal symbol that goes from m to n', that is, raising 2 E72 tonesteps, and another going from M to n', which lowers 4 E72 tonesteps.

Looking at the soft chromatic scale E72 values, assuming that the accidentals from the hard chromatic scale can be used, it might suffice to introduce another pair of accidentals: lowering 2 and raising 4.