Re: LilyBuntu [don't read kainhofer.com!]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LilyBuntu [don't read kainhofer.com!]
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 23:38:54 +0000

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 12:21:42AM +0100, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2010/12/10 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Yes, you'll discover any compile *failures*.  But our build system
> > does not rebuild any manual unless the "main" file (in
> > Documentation/*.te??) is touched.  Since we only alter those files
> > twice a year or so, there's lots of old docs on kainhofer.
>
> Why not touch everything that is touchable (files, I mean) and force a
> complete compiling, daily?

If you want to force a complete compile, then I recommend removing
the build directory entirely and starting from scratch.  This is
very easy with an out-of-tree build.

> What does GUB do to make a release?

I completely wipe the build dirs.

> Whatever it does to obtain a new set of manuals, any daily snapshot
> should do the same.

No.  The docs on kainhofer.com are not our official docs.  It is a
private server which Reinhold graciously makes available.
Compiling the docs from scratch requires a fair amount of
resources, ranging from CPU power to disk life (by using
read/writes) to electricity.

I agree that any official "daily snapshot" should build from
scratch.  But I don't think it's worth the resources it would
take.  A daily doc build was fantastic during GDP, but these days
the docs don't change all that rapidly, and all doc contributors
can build the docs themselves (mostly with lilybuntu).