Re: issue classification: priority guidelines

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: issue classification: priority guidelines
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:32:01 +0100

2010/12/15 Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> Look, the ugly truth is that the "priority" field -- other than
> "critical" -- has no effect on lilypond development.  I've been
> heavily involved since 2003 (before this issue tracker in 2006),
> and that's my observation.  It has no statistically significant
> affect whatsoever.

I was afraid i'll get this answer. Well, i'll have to live with that.

> I don't want this thread to degrade into yet another combination
> of rants about our development process.  We have a list of "GOP
> policy decisions", about half of which are directly aimed at
> improving our process.  We are not going to discuss specifics of
> those proposals until 2.14 is out.

Sure. I was also afraid of this so i asked a question about it
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-12/msg00240.html)
and Phil Holmes told me to go ahead and post
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-12/msg00247.html).

>  Fighting about whether a bug should be high vs. low does NOTHING
> to get it fixed sooner or later.  This is a volunteer project, and
> lilypond developers do not appear to be motived based on an
> arbitrary "priority" field.  The main motivating factors appear to
> be:
> 1. somebody wants that notation added (or bug fixed) for a
> personal score
> 2. it "looks easy enough" to attempt
> 3. money (i.e. if somebody offers a bounty, or hires somebody with
> a grant)

Ok, this means i have to fix some (lots of?) stuff myself (you got me
hooked perhaps, however i don't know how all this will turn out)...

The following is for anyone interested in helping me in this task.
I have some basic knowledge about C and a little experience in
programming (a dozen small programs - usually less than 100 lines of
code each).
I have read some parts of Contributor's Guide and installed Lilybuntu
(good idea! but i struggle with unbelieveably low VirtualBox
resolution - 800x600, it annoys me extremely on my big monitor. Maybe
i'll find an answer on the web).
Unfortunately, none of the above told me what's actually happening
when lilypond is run, so when i tried to look at the code, for example
stem.cc, i barely understood anything :\
So if you know of any source of knowledge that may be useful for me,
i'd appreciate it.

cheers,
Janek