Re: lilybuntu 2

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilybuntu 2
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:48:54 +0000

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 02:58:12PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 05:11:46AM -0600, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
> > If you want to test it, please feel free. Note that the lily-git.tcl
> > script is already in the user's home directory, ready to grab the
> > source code.
>
> Actually, could people wait a few days?  I'd like to take this
> opportunity to have a thorough examination of our installation
> stuff.  I'd like to have one person try it and make notes about
> what worked and what didn't, then I'll tweak the docs, then a new
> person will try it, then I'll adjust the docs again, etc.

James has tried it and sent me comments, and I've made my first
revision of the process.  Unfortunately, the results aren't online
yet, but let's not panic.

Would any doc-savvy contributor like to try lilybuntu 2 and the
new version of the instructions?

1. Please rebuild the docs from current git master (or at least,
build the Contributor's Guide).

2. Start reading at 1.1 Help us.  Your "motivation" is that you
want to do "advanced tasks".  (if you are looking at a "help us"
page which does not list "advanced tasks", then you're looking at
old docs)

3. start following the instructions, and let me know where you end
up.  The goal is to have a streamlined set of instructions,
assuming a reasonably competent computer user but with no specific
knowledge of lilypond development (or development at all!).

I'm not totally sold on the revised docs; something feels a bit
"off" to me.  But I'll sleep on it and see what the next person
thinks about them.