Re: Change stringTunings entries from semitones to pitches (issue3842041

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Change stringTunings entries from semitones to pitches (issue3842041)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:52:37 +0000

On 2010/12/29 05:18:07, Keith wrote:
Agreed. My earlier 'arbitrary' was a mental slip. I was thinking the
choice was
sensible, but even if it were arbitrary I would be scared of change.

> The order for the chord entry was requested by the users.  Chords
are
generally
> entered lowest note first.

Yes, but were the users right?  I would have asked for that order of
entry, too,
but would have changed my mind for fear of bugs when reminded that the
old way
to specify tuning was in order of string numbering.  (Bugs made by me
in my .ly
files, that is)
If you found this reversal not too error-prone, then maybe the users
were right.

As far as old files go, the convert-ly rule automatically does the
conversion, so you don't even need to think about it.

As far as new files go, I think the user can learn whatever syntax is
necessary.

Thanks,

Carl

http://codereview.appspot.com/3842041/