Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:42:03 +0100

Am Montag, 14. März 2011, um 12:45:57 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
> Reinhold Kainhofer schreef op ma 14-03-2011 om 10:49 [+0100]:
>
> Hi Reinold,
>
> > There are some problems with the new method:
> >
> > -) All staves with \partcombine now use four (!) different midi tracks:
> > shared, one, two and solo (because partcombine internally uses four
> > voices)
>
> Yes, is that a problem?  Won't this allow midi2ly to nicely recreate the
> original, instead of from the previous merged output?

Yes, but my main concern is not to use midi2ly on files generated by lilypond
in the first place. My concern is to use the midi file to listen to the music
and eventually generate nicely sounding output. Having one instrument spread
out to 5 midi channels (1 for the non-partcombined sections and 4 for the
part-combined sections) does not help, when you want to adjust some aspects of
the playbeck, since you then have to apply the identical settings 5 times...

> Does midiChannelMapping == #'staff still produce the old output?

No, I couldn't get it to work.

> > -) The order of the tracks in the midi file is wrong: I would expect all
> > the voices from the same staff to be grouped together, and everything to
> > be inthe same order as in the PDF.
>
> Isn't that the case?  That would be weird, audio_staffs should be
> created as they appear and still in the same order as before.

See the attached file.

> > However, now all lyrics (BTW, why do lyrics get a
> > separate track at all, shouldn't they be in the same track as the music
> > events they belong to?)
>
> Good question.  I think it would be nice if lyrics would be added to the
> track of their lyricsto-voice.
>
> > are placed at the very bottom, and all tracks generated by
> > partcombine are then placed after all the lyrics
>
> Weird.  I would very much appreciate small test cases that I can add
> to the midi test suite!

I'm currently not able to reproduce the lyrics problem with a simple file
(only when using orchestrallily). But the part-combined voices are all placed
at the very bottom. See attached sample case.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886

PNG image