Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:21:53 +0100

Keith OHara schreef op zo 13-03-2011 om 21:55 [-0700]:

> I don't know of any yet, and I will not be looking for any.
> The changes within the past week were significant enough that I expect
> complaints from people who use MIDI.

That would be nice!  Esp. if they send patches.  MIDI support in
LilyPond is flaky and stale.  Looking at the state of midi2ly and
the silly small bugs that I fixed the past month, I can hardly
imagine that people used it much since 1998.

> Right.  Mostly I just want to be sure Jan knows you've branched for a
> potential stable release, in case he needs to pull back any
> half-implemented changes.

I apologise for landing this big change without proper review in
master.  Excuse: midi2ly was in a terrible state, I need a test
suite and lilypond's MIDI-output needed to be fixed to enable that.

Also, comments and remarks in the code along with my understanding
of MIDI, let me to believe that voice<->channel mapping was the
right thing to do and that the old solution of having channel# ==
track# was an ugly and strange hack.  I never understood (nor anyone
working on the MIDI code until now), that channels in different tracks
are linked.

Greetings,
Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl