Re: Gets rid of length in the docs. (issue 4965053)

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Gets rid of length in the docs. (issue 4965053)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:40:31 +0200

On Aug 30, 2011, at 7:17 PM, Keith OHara wrote:

> Mike Solomon <mikesol <at> ufl.edu> writes:
>
>> As I stated in a previous mail, it is easy to re-instate
>> a length property in the stem-interface and then
>> build it into either Stem::internal_height or Stem::print.
>> I have no problem with this.
>>

> The KEEP LENGTH option is the best,
> because 'length and 'Y-extent should be distinct.

In this case, it seems like the property should be called positions and not
length.  Length presupposes that the begin position remains constant and the
end chagnes, whereas positions should take a pair that gives the bottom and top
of the stencil.  Otherwise, users won't be able to override the beginning point.

Then, we could have
\override Stem #'positions = #(stem::length whatever)

to reinstitute the old length function (or stem::length-from-natural-beginning
or whatever).

Cheers,
MS