Re: GUB

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 17:52:13 +0100

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 04:40:54PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> Bit of a follow-up.  As I think I said earlier, the "wrong" version
> number is in aclocal.m4.  This is made with the following:

> */missing appears to simply run aclocal-1.11 (which is an installed
> program - we deliver 1.10) and this seems to create the aclocal.m4.
> Can't understand the build system past that, though.

In theory, once GUB has completed "make bootstrap", it should not
use any system files at all.  It should use the version of gcc,
libtool, automake, aclocal, etc that it built during boostrap.
This is not always true in practice, but that's the general idea.

An alternate method of looking into this is to look at the git
changes in the past year or so.  Unfortunately I can't remember
when I last did a full rebuild in GUB, but it used to work on my
computer, and now it fails, so one of the changes made since my
last full rebuild must have caused it to fail.

I had no joy with it, so I've added it here:
https://github.com/janneke/gub/issues/7