Re: convert-ly rules to destencil Flags

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: convert-ly rules to destencil Flags
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:46:11 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Oct 25, 2011, at 3:36 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>     "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>         And now I have two extra branches (staging/HEAD and
>         origin/dev/staging/HEAD) that I can't seem to get rid of.  Any
>         suggestions?
>

>     Use an editor on .git/config to clean up, and find and delete
>     those
>     files from .git/refs that represent the bad branches.
>
>     Sometimes the hardcore solutions are easiest.
>

> Works like a charm.
>
> My question still stands about how to establish the remote branch.
>
> git remote add -ft dev/staging -m dev/staging
> origin/dev/staging git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/
> does not seem to do the trick
>
> Any takers?

Well, my .git/config has
[remote "origin"]
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        url = ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git
        fetch = +refs/heads/dev/staging:refs/remotes/origin/dev/staging

in it.  I have no idea why the third line is needed on top of the first
line, but maybe you can't delete and repush otherwise since after the
deletion, git has forgotten how to get there.

Anyway, try making .git/config similar, and the do git fetch origin, and
then git branch -r really should do that.

There will be some magical git "user interface" command line for writing
the address@hidden@!$ fetch line, but I forgot which one I used.