Re: patches to apply

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: patches to apply
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 15:10:08 +0100

Peekay Ex <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes and I suppose that is why I cannot push these patches to dev\staging
>
> --snip--
>
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ git push origin
> HEAD:refs/heads/dev/staging
> To ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
>  ! [rejected]        HEAD -> dev/staging (non-fast-forward)
> error: failed to push some refs to
> 'ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git'
> To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
> Merge the remote changes before pushing again.  See the 'Note about
> fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
> --snip--
>
> Is there something I can do on my side to push these to dev\staging?

For single patches, this is reasonably simple.  First do

git rebase origin/dev/staging

and then push.  This flattens out merge commits however.  If you want to
preserve merges as merges (because the state in between is untested or
known to break tests), you need to do

git rebase -p origin/dev/staging

If you merge commits in between, it will likely bomb out complaining
that it does not know which part of the merge is supposed to be the
mainline (that used for bisection).  You usually can continue by saying

git cherry-pick -m 1 commit-id-that-git-complained-about
git rebase --continue

But for most patches, the simple rebase should be totally sufficient.