Re: patches to apply

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: patches to apply
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:55:41 +0100

Peekay Ex <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Peekay Ex <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Yes and I suppose that is why I cannot push these patches to dev\staging
>>>
>>> --snip--
>>>
>>> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ git push origin
>>> HEAD:refs/heads/dev/staging
>>> To ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
>>>  ! [rejected]        HEAD -> dev/staging (non-fast-forward)
>>> error: failed to push some refs to
>>> 'ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git'
>>> To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
>>> Merge the remote changes before pushing again.  See the 'Note about
>>> fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
>>> --snip--
>>>
>>> Is there something I can do on my side to push these to dev\staging?
>>
>> For single patches, this is reasonably simple.  First do
>>
>> git rebase origin/dev/staging
>
> I got an error:
>
> address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ git rebase origin/dev/staging
> fatal: Needed a single revision
> invalid upstream origin/dev/staging

Well, use whatever your tracking branch is called.  What does
git branch -r
say?

> I also managed to mung something up and created a new branch on master
> :( I'm really sorry, can someone remove this? I really don't know what
> I am doing and so am more a hindrance than a help here.

That's not really hard to do.  I'll remove that in a moment.

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/dev/staginggitk

> again.. sorry.

There is not all that much actual permanent damage you could cause: as
long as somebody has a local copy flying around, it is reasonably easy
to restore almost anything.  Not to give you ideas though...