Re: [translations] Re: CG 5.8.3: updating committish of lsr snippets

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: [translations] Re: CG 5.8.3: updating committish of lsr snippets
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:32:04 +0100

2011/11/1 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> 'make check-translation' is a mess now.
>
> If you run this command you'll see what I mean:
>
> cd Documentation
> make ISOLANG=it NO_COLOR=1 check-translation | less

I usually leave colors on and use less -R instead.

> Is it normal?

I do not see this output especially abnormal.  As you know, from this
output you will obtain one of

 -- changes to lilypond code.  You should ignore it.
 -- changes to translations doctitleXX or texidocXX other than yours.
Ignore those, too.
 -- changes to header strings in English other than texidoc or
doctitle. Ignore them.
 -- changes to GIT committish strings either yours or others'.  They
reflect makelsr runs made by others.  I think in general you can
ignore them.
 -- changes that show deleted snippets. Delete yours.

That leaves us with the only important changes: those in texidoc and
doctitle English strings.  Update your translations accordingly, run
makelsr, commit, use this commit ID to update the committishes in your
translations, commit this. Done.

BTW we don't have a clear warning of the existence of new
translation-needing snippets.  I usually see English paragraphs in
Spanish docs and that is a sign, but it is not pleasing to find them
in already released docs.

> I guess it's not. There's a lot of garbage.
> I've tried the check-translation of spanish and in most (all?) of cases the
> only change for each file in snippets/ is the committish.

Would it be OK if I managed to find a committish that gives a terse
check-translation output for Italian?  I think if I found one for
Spanish, that is certainly possible.  Be aware, you'll lose any
tracking information.

> BTW, it would be much better if check-translation could check only the
> modifications in the texidoc="" and doctitle="" parts of the snippets (the
> parts that must be translated).

I agree.

> Is it possible? (question for Python developers)

the output of check-translation is made by diff, and diff is blind to
syntax structures. It is certainly feasible because we are already
parsing our translations when we run makelsr so that it puts them into
snippets.  This is far beyond my skills or my available time. Or both.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com