Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:27:55 +0100

On Mar 1, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Janek Warchoł wrote Thursday, March 01, 2012 12:01 AM
>
>> The bad news is that for scores containing a lot of lyrics (like my
>> SATB pieces) compilation times are now 3-4 times longer than wiith
>> master.  For instrumental scores the situation look better, it's 1.5-2
>> times longer.  I can live with these compilation times, but others
>> probably won't like it...
>
> I wouldn't like it for one.  Could either the precise skylines for glyphs
> be optionally activated, or applied only to dynamic text, not lyrics?

The good news is that a simple property activation causes this to kick in, so
before pushing the patch, we can decide what does and doesn't get this feature
as default behavior.  Furthermore, we can create a file precision-spacing.ly
that sets tons of grobs to the more time-costly alternative for those who want
to put their finished score in a final pass through the vertical-skyline
functions.

Now, though, it's important to develop the with everything at maximum
complexity to see what type of toll it takes and get as many bugs out as
possible.  I still think there's a lot of room for speed up - as I said in my
previous e-mail, I just need help with some profiling.

Cheers,
MS