Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 02:43:31 -0800

2012/3/6 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Joe Neeman <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/3/6 <address@hidden>
>
>> Mike & all,
>>
>> i did a quick compile with patchset 36 and unfortunately didn't notice
>> significant speedups from previous version.
>

> Could you try the dev/jneem branch in git? It has some optimizations. If
> that doesn't help, could you please send me some of the worst files?

They look better indeed time-wise.
As for the output, i've only did a quick look and noticed this: why
you deleted horizontal padding?  This results in mf at the bottom
right of 1st page of Tota pulchra to jump into above lyrics.

The way skyline padding was being done made the code very messy. Also, padding was being added in multiple places, so some things were getting extra padding. However, the capability for doing padding is still there (for example, with the outside-staff-horizon-padding property). I agree, though, that the defaults will need to be revisited.

Actually, small/zero horizontal padding might give better results in
some places, but that needs thorough investigation.

Something that, FWIW, never happened with the previous defaults. A bunch of the lines I deleted had comments like
// TODO: figure out what horizon_padding should be

Cheers,
Joe