Re: Texinfo help, please

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Texinfo help, please
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:22:08 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm doing a little project to get rid of all the black bars on the
> right side of the PDF of the NR - these indicate material that is too
> wide to be properly accommodated on the page.  One of the things that
> causes this is text like:
>
> Fret diagrams for the ukulele are contained in the file
> @file{predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly}.
>
> This produces output as seen in the attached image.
>
> There are a number of examples where texi2pdf clearly does not
> calculate line width correctly when the @file{} is used.

It just does not wrap.

> The simplest answer would be to force a line break with @*, but does
> anyone know an alternative, better way?  If I don't get suggestions
> that work, I'll go ahead and force the line breaks.

How do you break a file name anywhere except behind a slash?  Breaking
anywhere else either looks strange or does not make it clear whether or
not a hyphen is supposed at the break.

It makes more sense to reword, like

    The file @file{predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly} contains the fret
    diagrams for the ukulele.

Putting the unlikely-to-break-well material near the start of the
paragraph gives you the best chances to get by.