Re: Texinfo help, please

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Texinfo help, please
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:08:47 +0100

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:45:49PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sure.  So we're asking if TeX can be tweaked to consider
> > additional solutions.  (namely, "always add a line-break before
> > anything with an overfull hbox, regardless of what that makes the
> > rest of that paragraph look lik")
>
> Sure, that is what the emergencystretch stuff (and the @finalout command
> explained in the Texinfo chapter I cited) are all about.  You can tell
> TeX to go ahead and choose ugly rather than flag the problematic
> paragraphs parts.

That sounds good.

> > The answer could be "no, TeX is not flexible enough to do that".  Fair
> > enough; we're accustomed to living within the limitations of our
> > tools.  But this isn't an "impossible" or "magical" request.
>
> Phil already explained that he did not want to revert to the documented
> solutions TeX considers too ugly for consideration without explicit
> prodding.

My initial reading was that Phil did not want to use @finalout (a
position which I entirely agree with).  I am not certain that we
have adequately investigated/discussed emergencystretch.

A quick google finds docs on emergencystretch, but I'm not certain
I understand them.  So I'll write an example and hope you can tell
me if LaTeX can do it.

----------- linewidth ------
This  is a  paragraph  which
is justified  like a  normal
paragraph in LaTeX.   It  is
unchanged by any  additional
TeX tweaking.

This  is a  paragraph  which
has  a really long  word and
has   benefitted  from  some
kind of
emergency-stretch-tweak
which  is IMHO  exactly what
we   want  in  the  lilypond
documentation.

(must be viewed with a fixed-width font, of course)