Re: Texinfo help, please

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Texinfo help, please
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:36:11 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:22 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

I'm doing a little project to get rid of all the black bars on the
right side of the PDF of the NR - these indicate material that is too
wide to be properly accommodated on the page.  One of the things that
causes this is text like:

Fret diagrams for the ukulele are contained in the file
@file{predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly}.

This produces output as seen in the attached image.

There are a number of examples where texi2pdf clearly does not
calculate line width correctly when the @file{} is used.

It just does not wrap.

It should wrap between the words "the file" and the filename. If I was to follow my own suggestion, I would do this:

Fret diagrams for the ukulele are contained in the file @*
@file{predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly}.

The simplest answer would be to force a line break with @*, but does
anyone know an alternative, better way?  If I don't get suggestions
that work, I'll go ahead and force the line breaks.

How do you break a file name anywhere except behind a slash?  Breaking
anywhere else either looks strange or does not make it clear whether or
not a hyphen is supposed at the break.

I don't expect the filename to break/wrap - it's the text around it that should.

It makes more sense to reword, like

   The file @file{predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly} contains the fret
   diagrams for the ukulele.

Putting the unlikely-to-break-well material near the start of the
paragraph gives you the best chances to get by.

That will work well with this specific example and I will probably follow it. There are other examples where there are, for example, 2 filenames one after the other, and texi2pdf insists on putting these on a single line, thus overflowing, rather than breaking between them, which would be perfectly suitable.

--
Phil Holmes