Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:06:47 +0200

Hi Graham (+1 for Graham!) & all (+1 for everybody!),

let's try to summarize (can you update
http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_2.html, Graham?)
The numbers given are from GNU policies, see above.

------------------------------required

6.3 - list authors
check (git does this)

6.5 - copyright notice
um, we're not doing it yet, are we?  So, a bug report?

8 - must work on GNU/Linux
check

10 - keep backup
check (git)

12.2 - free software for website, no misleading unfree links
check

13 - avoid patented technologies
check

13&8 - don't recommend non-free programs
i don't see changes on the website - have we decided that we delete
them, or just "mention they exist"?

13&8 - don't recommend non-free docs
check

14.1 - don't say "open source"
problem with German translation.  Who is its maintainer (didn't found
in CG) - Till Paala?  I don't see his address in my address book.
Reinhold, could you do this maybe (i see you did some translations)?
If nobody does this, i'll use Google Translate and my vestigial German
skillz to fix it mysself.

14.2 - don't say "Linux" (since it's a curse word, as everyone knows ;P)
http://codereview.appspot.com/6374060 (not very impressive, sorry)

2.1 - proprietary programs
check?

2.3 - trademarks
check

3.4 - trigraphs in C code
wtf?

------------------------------recommended

6.1 - copyright to FSF
NO.

9.3 - thank for bug reports
> I think the Bug Squad already does this,
> but maybe add it to the Bug Squad checklist? :)
> Also, remind the two grumpy developers that they shouldn’t reply
> to bug reports unless they feel amazingly un-grumpy that day."

If you're thinking about the same people as i do, i feel that one of
them isn't concerned, and the other one is doing really good job
recently, in my opinion at least (i'm speaking about replying to user
emails in general).

11.3 - use ftp.gnu.org
not worth it

11.6 - announce releases is some places, like savannah
that's issue 1719, feel free to attack it

12.3 - manual formats
WTF plain ASCII for music program manual?  Like what, ASCII-art for
every snippet?  As for ps and dvi, they can go to hell since everyone
can use pdf.  We're doing good enough.

11.2 - releases source diff
let's not bother

12.3 - old link to our docs at gnu.org/manual
i've sent an email to GNU about this.

3.1 - use Guile for extensions
*they* should learn from *us*, mwahahaha!

----------------maintainer requirements
stuff for Graham :)

So, we have ~6 things left, some are underway.  Not bad.  Let's fix
what can be fixed immediately and file bug reports for other stuff,
shall we?

Janek