Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:38:24 +0100

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 03:06:47PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> ------------------------------required
>
> 6.3 - list authors
> check (git does this)

but not in source tarballs.

> 6.5 - copyright notice
> um, we're not doing it yet, are we?  So, a bug report?

I suppose there's no harm in filing a bug report for this.

> 13&8 - don't recommend non-free programs
> i don't see changes on the website - have we decided that we delete
> them, or just "mention they exist"?

I'm still checking for "web services".  Otherwise, we delete them
(or at least comment them out).  My patch got buried in a branch
that I forgot about, but I'll upload it to git-cl soon.

> 14.1 - don't say "open source"
> problem with German translation.  Who is its maintainer (didn't found
> in CG) - Till Paala?  I don't see his address in my address book.
> Reinhold, could you do this maybe (i see you did some translations)?
> If nobody does this, i'll use Google Translate and my vestigial German
> skillz to fix it mysself.

That's the problem of the translation meister -- either to send
the problem to the appropriate person, fix it himself, or to
disable the translation if there's no easy way to fix it.

I've heard from a senior gnu person that this doesn't need to hold
back the stable/2.16 release as long as we're actively trying to
fix it.

> 14.2 - don't say "Linux" (since it's a curse word, as everyone knows ;P)
> http://codereview.appspot.com/6374060 (not very impressive, sorry)

You don't need to run "make doc" yourself, but I noted a problem
in the review comments.

> 12.3 - manual formats
> WTF plain ASCII for music program manual?  Like what, ASCII-art for
> every snippet?  As for ps and dvi, they can go to hell since everyone
> can use pdf.  We're doing good enough.

I imagine that the ASCII version would just say

[image of music]

Not very exciting, but I suppose that it would be just as
informative as the full docs to a blind reader ?
We fulfill the spirit of that policy (with info), and it's only a
"recommended", not a "required".

> 12.3 - old link to our docs at gnu.org/manual
> i've sent an email to GNU about this.

thanks.