Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:50:32 +0200

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 03:06:47PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> ------------------------------required
>>
>> 6.3 - list authors
>> check (git does this)
>
> but not in source tarballs.

git shortlog -s release/2.14.2-1..HEAD | cut -f 2-

should get us the contents.

>> 12.3 - manual formats
>> WTF plain ASCII for music program manual?  Like what, ASCII-art for
>> every snippet?  As for ps and dvi, they can go to hell since everyone
>> can use pdf.  We're doing good enough.
>
> I imagine that the ASCII version would just say
>
> [image of music]

which the info files do say after "make doc", while they contain all the
images when made with "make info".  Since the standalone reader does not
grok images, it is conceivable to provide a version without images as
well.  However, when using Emacs as an info reader, the documentation
with images is so much more useful that it is not funny.  So system
administrators would be very well advised to install the versions with
images.

The standalone info reader just ignores the images.  I just started
gnome-help info:lilypond-notation
and, well, it is still displaying "Loading".

> Not very exciting, but I suppose that it would be just as
> informative as the full docs to a blind reader ?
> We fulfill the spirit of that policy (with info), and it's only a
> "recommended", not a "required".

The info files are likely much more useful to somebody using Emacspeak.
My guess would be that the images don't do either harm nor good in that
case.

I am leaning to the following targets:

make all        -- create binaries and ASCII documentation
make info       -- create info files with images
make info-text  -- create info files without images

Creating the ASCII documentation from Texinfo at least does some basic
structure checks.  The problem with "make all && make install"
installing info files without images is that it is the default that
distribution packagers will use, and the utility of the info files
without images is, well, basically the same as being blind.  And for a
sizable number of users for whom using Emacs is an option, that is not
doing them a favor.