Re: Set indent based on instrument name (issue 6457049)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Set indent based on instrument name (issue 6457049)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 00:12:45 +0100

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:44:28PM +0100, Bernard Hurley wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:14:37PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
> >> lily/output-def.cc:38: Real long_name_len = 0.0;
> >> could these be class member variables instead of global variables?
> >
> > I don't believe so.  I'd be happy to be corrected by someone who
> > understands this better than I do, but my understanding of c++ (which I
> > guess at based on c#) says that, in order to access a class member
> > variable, you need to have an instantiation of the class.

That is true.

> In C++ variables can be declared static. If this is done all instances of
> the class share the same instance of the variable and it can exist
> even if the class has no instances see:

Yes, that's also true.

Let me rephrase my concern: in C++-land, having a global variable
(including static variables) are viewed upon like picking one's
nose.  If there is absolutely no other way to achieve one's goal,
it could be tolerated.  But I would be very surprised if this
could not be implemented without global variables, so I think
another draft of the patch will be necessary.

Hopefully somebody familiar with lilypond internals can skim the
patch (it's quite small) and give a suggestion as to how to avoid
the global variables.