Re: Set indent based on instrument name (issue 6457049)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Set indent based on instrument name (issue 6457049)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:00:42 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:50 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:04 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

I'd be happy to change it if someone could suggest an improvement.
When I initially asked how this could be done, Keith said:

"Maybe each Instrument_name_engraver, one for each staff, could push
information to a central location"

which does sound rather like a global variable.

More like a Score-level context property.  And/or a grob announced on an
interface that an engraver at Score level listens to.

Whoosh.  Straight over my head...

It may be worth asking on the user list.  That's the sort of thing
Thomas Morley and David Nalesnik are constantly cranking out in Scheme.

Question is - is it OK to modify my code to use statics,

No.  Even engravers at score level are running in parallel, like when
using a \score markup or using the part combiner or quoting music and so
on.  Static variables just don't work in this setting.

I'm sure that's not a problem here - the instrument name engraver finishes its work before the output-def indent code is called at all, so the name engraver "corrects" the indent before it's ever used.

or should I bother you with trying to understand what this means and
how to do it?

Since Keith were making the suggestions, he would know better what he
was envisioning here.

Don't think he's around at present - modem problems.

--
Phil Holmes