Re: PATCHES: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: PATCHES: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 12:00:00 -0300

Hi John,

thanks for working on this; it has been long overdue.

Small random comments:

* is there a need for vc-clean at all? People can just git clone the
repo when they want to have a clean tree.

* you may want to reindent this properly and use && for sequential execution

        case "$(OUT_DIST_FILES)x" in x) ;; *) \
                mkdir -p $(distdir)/$(localdir)/$(outdir); \
                $(LN) $(OUT_DIST_FILES) $(distdir)/$(localdir)/$(outdir);;

+.gitfilelist: $(top-src-dir)/.git/index
+       cd $(top-src-dir) && git ls-files >$(top-build-dir)/$@

* I would run git-status before dist (to enforce that the tree is
clean) and take the file list exclusively from committed, so we can
link the tarball and the git versions more strongly.

* If you want to go the extra mile, you can try to make the .tar.gz
deterministic for a given git commit; you'd have to eliminate all
timestamps (set them to the ts from the latest git commit for
example).