Re: Patchy switches for forcing make doc don't seem to work

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Patchy switches for forcing make doc don't seem to work
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:09:50 +0200

Hi James,
Il giorno lun, 20/08/2012 alle 10.40 +0100, James ha scritto:
> I am not able to work out how to force patchy during a test-patches.py
> to also make doc as well as the test and test-baseline.
>
> I don't have access to my machine I run patchy on at the moment - it
> is at home and I am at work - but there is an entry in one of the
> 'conf' files that allows me to set the option to make doc 'TRUE'.

Are you sure there is such an entry?  I have looked at the configuration
files
(patches/{lilypond-patchy-config-DEFAULT,compile_lilypond_test/pachy_config.py})
 git history, and I haven't found anything that kinda matched.

If you mean the BUILD_ALL_DOCS switch in the core code of the builder
(patches/compile_lilypond_test/__init__.py), it's not supported for
enabling documentation build in patches test (I don't know well the
state of Patchy 4 or 6 months ago, so I can't tell whether it has ever
been ever supported).  Such switches in the code are not, or at least
should not be, configuration options.

In the past months, Patchy has been changed to be made configurable, so
we don't have to hand-edit its code and have different versions of it
running, which would defeat its purpose;  if you ever need to hand-edit
Patchy code for whichever presumably good or bad reason, send your
change on this list, and in case you need to keep it we'll check it in
or make it available with a configuration option.

> However this doesn't seem to do anything and I wondered if 'recent'
> changes (bearing in mind that I hadn't updated patchy for a good 4 or
> 5 months until a couple of weeks back so there have been updates by
> David as well as John that might have stopped this working. Of course
> it could just be me. I wondered if anyone recently who runs patchy has
> this make doc aspect working, accepting that make doc for most users
> takes hours and it is turned off by default with Patchy.

"make doc" is done when building an individual branch from Savannah, in
particular staging, and there is no configuration option to disable it.

> It would mean I could make doc on every patch that needs testing, to
> give people like Trevor more confidence when their patches are tested.

Right.  I've added an option for this in the config file, but not on
master branch: I'm sure that even with your Core i7 (or whichever
powerful CPU it is), you don't want to rebuild all docs of pristine
master branch when you know you've already built the same Git revision
succesfully, so I've also added a mechanism to record the checksum of
out-test-baseline directories contents, that in combination with master
committish determines whether to rebuild master before testing patches,
all this is on patchy/test-grenouille branch:

https://github.com/gperciva/lilypond-extra/commits/patchy/test-grenouille

I'm not confident with merging this branch in master now, because so
many changes need so much testing, which I'm doing on both my Core box
and on Grenouille, with varying configuration options w.r.t using
build_user, server setup or not...

Best,
John