Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:00:39 +0200

On 28 août 2012, at 06:08, address@hidden wrote:

> Still works well, still the same speed, and now the code makes much more
> sense.
>
> The 25% extra time required to set a short score goes down if I
>    \override Accidental #'vertical-skylines = #'()
>    \override TextScript #'vertical-skylines = #'()
>    \override TextScript #'horizontal-skylines = #'()
>    \override Script #'vertical-skylines = #'()
> seemingly in proportion to the number of objects for which I give up
> detailed skylines.

It may be worth it from a UI perspective to come up with a
\cruderVerticalSkylineApproximationsForFasterCompilation command (or something
of that ilk).  I am bad at UI stuff, so I'll let someone else think of a good
thing to call this and good vertical-skylines to override (you should set them
to ly:grob::simple-vertical-skylines-from-stencil instead of '()).  The list
you have above looks like a good start - I'd add LyricText to it as well.
Janek would be able to come up w/ an exhaustive list.

> After the simplification, many functions in skyline- and skyline-pair.cc
> are unused, and thus untested :
> left(), right(), intersects(), smallest_shift(), is_singleton(),
> invert().

Got rid of the cruft in staging.  Most utility functions are a dime a dozen.
Using them intelligently is what's hard. So people can just rewrite these
things if they need them.

> http://codereview.appspot.com/5626052/

Cheers,
MS