Re: Latest commit breaks master

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: Latest commit breaks master
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:10:23 +0100

Le 19/12/2012 12:14, David Kastrup disait :
that has been posted to gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel as well.

James <address@hidden> writes:

On 19 December 2012 08:11, James <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

author  Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden>
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:23:13 +0000 (19:23 +0100)
committer       Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden>
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:23:13 +0000 (19:23 +0100)
commit  12c6693055728e69dce5c4e5a4a2b5f71180a5e2

Any specific reason this wasn't

1. Put up for reivew
2. Pushed to staging first

This breaks master because, I am guessing as I haven't done much
analysis, the file name contains commas?

I'm running patchy merge again (just in case it was something
anomolous - I have time, no problem retesting) but could someone
revert this or make sure it isn't something else?

Yep this is broken now.

The logs are not that clear in that I get two potential files where
the problem could have occurred and have attached them, but they look
innocuous so something more deeper than I can figure out is at hand
here.

Ok, in case this is still not clear to everybody: NEVER PUSH TO
MASTER!!!!  Nobody, ever.

It messes up our testing and branch organization even when we are not
talking about untested changes breaking the compilation.

The only one permitted to push directly to master is the
lilypond-patchy-staging script since it gives a thorough beating to what
it is going to push, making sure that it passes all reasonable tests.

All this is a followup of
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-12/msg00168.html
after I noticed the problem when updating on translators' branch. Should any typo go through all the review process?

Fortunately, I have not pulled since Monday night, and I CERTIFY I RESPECTED the master branch since I pushed on staging (AFTER A CLEAN DOC BUILD), which then got merged afterwords on TUESDAY. Sorry to believe it should have then been run through patchy, or?

As for file names containing a punctuation character, here is the result of "ls *,*" and "ls *.*.ly" in Documentation/snippets:
adding-beams,-slurs,-ties-etc.-when-using-tuplet-and-non-tuplet-rhythms.ly
conducting-signs,-measure-grouping-signs.ly
fingerings,-string-indications,-and-right-hand-fingerings.ly
horizontally-aligning-custom-dynamics-e.g.-sempre-pp,-piu-f,-subito-p.ly
inserting-score-fragments-above-a-staff,-as-markups.ly
orchestra,-choir-and-piano-template.ly
removing-connecting-bar-lines-on-staffgroup,-pianostaff,-or-grandstaff.ly
single-staff-template-with-notes,-lyrics,-and-chords.ly
single-staff-template-with-notes,-lyrics,-chords-and-frets.ly
obtaining-2.12-lyrics-spacing-in-newer-versions.ly

Cheers,
Jean-Charles