Re: Latest commit breaks master

From: James
Subject: Re: Latest commit breaks master
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:20:47 +0000

Hello,

On 19 December 2012 20:21, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> James <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> You don't need to explain Jean-Charles, I was just making very
>> uneducated observations/guesses.
>>
>> Anyway, regardless of this we had all agreed to not push anything
>> directly to master.
>
> Apparently he didn't.
>
>> Just another uneducated guess based on a simple fact that everything
>> had merged fine until that checkin of yours. Then it failed.
>
> Actually, it was a commit of mine on top of that.
>
>> But I don't need anyone to explain it to me, I am sure David et al
>> have more pressing matters :)
>>
>> My job is just to test and merge and shout when something bad happens.
>> I try to guess from the logs but sometimes it is hard for me.
>
> In this case, the fault was mine.  Or at least it was caused by a commit
> of mine that saw its first full doc build in staging (while having
> passed through normal patchy testing fine).  The commit was intended to
> flag errors, and, uh, it flagged errors in the docs.  So it was perhaps
> a bit too optimistic to push to staging without full doc tests.

Well merge does a full doc build and your checkin was in master
already so must have made it through the make doc in that case. That
was what was so odd.

Anyway, i can enable a full make doc on every test patchy - it isn't
that huge a deal. I've set on for now and I'll see if it affects the
amount of testing I can get done compared to what I do now.

James