Re: Latest commit breaks master

From: James
Subject: Re: Latest commit breaks master
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:03:47 +0000

Hello,

On 19 December 2012 18:10, Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> wrote:
> Le 19/12/2012 12:14, David Kastrup disait :
>>
>> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
>> that has been posted to gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel as well.
>>

>> James <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Yep this is broken now.
>>>
>>> The logs are not that clear in that I get two potential files where
>>> the problem could have occurred and have attached them, but they look
>>> innocuous so something more deeper than I can figure out is at hand
>>> here.
>>

>> Ok, in case this is still not clear to everybody: NEVER PUSH TO
>> MASTER!!!!  Nobody, ever.
>>
>> It messes up our testing and branch organization even when we are not
>> talking about untested changes breaking the compilation.
>>
>> The only one permitted to push directly to master is the
>> lilypond-patchy-staging script since it gives a thorough beating to what
>> it is going to push, making sure that it passes all reasonable tests.
>

> All this is a followup of
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-12/msg00168.html
> after I noticed the problem when updating on translators' branch. Should any
> typo go through all the review process?

Typo? Perhaps I misunderstood the commit but that looked more than a
'typo' that was changed.

You don't need to explain Jean-Charles, I was just making very
uneducated observations/guesses.

Anyway, regardless of this we had all agreed to not push anything
directly to master.

> Fortunately, I have not pulled since Monday night, and I CERTIFY I RESPECTED
> the master branch since I pushed on staging (AFTER A CLEAN DOC BUILD), which
> then got merged afterwords on TUESDAY. Sorry to believe it should have then
> been run through patchy, or?
>

> As for file names containing a punctuation character, here is the result of
> "ls *,*" and "ls *.*.ly" in Documentation/snippets:
> adding-beams,-slurs,-ties-etc.-when-using-tuplet-and-non-tuplet-rhythms.ly
> conducting-signs,-measure-grouping-signs.ly
> fingerings,-string-indications,-and-right-hand-fingerings.ly
> horizontally-aligning-custom-dynamics-e.g.-sempre-pp,-piu-f,-subito-p.ly
> inserting-score-fragments-above-a-staff,-as-markups.ly
> orchestra,-choir-and-piano-template.ly
> removing-connecting-bar-lines-on-staffgroup,-pianostaff,-or-grandstaff.ly
> single-staff-template-with-notes,-lyrics,-and-chords.ly
> single-staff-template-with-notes,-lyrics,-chords-and-frets.ly
> obtaining-2.12-lyrics-spacing-in-newer-versions.ly

Of course you are correct, that is just my ignorance of the build
process and what TexInfo is perfectly ok with.

Just another uneducated guess based on a simple fact that everything
had merged fine until that checkin of yours. Then it failed.

I guess I don't really understand why nothing had failed until your checkin.

But I don't need anyone to explain it to  me, I am sure David et al
have more pressing matters :)

My job is just to test and merge and shout when something bad happens.
I try to guess from the logs but sometimes it is hard for me.

James