Re: Did VerticalAxisGroup default-staff-staff-spacing stop respecting pa

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Did VerticalAxisGroup default-staff-staff-spacing stop respecting padding in 2.17.10?
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:45:59 -0800

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 20:56:06 -0800, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

Trevor Bača <trevorbaca <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Did VerticalAxisGroup's default-staff-staff-spacing property stop
> respecting the 'padding' attribute between 2.17.9 and 2.17.10?
>
> I ask because I use a custom time signature context in my scores.

No, padding still works.  The latest LilyPond misunderstood what you
want with the zero-dimension TimeSignature.

Good point. I set zero-extent time signatures so that the notes in the
score will be positioned exactly where they are supposed to begin when
proportional notation is turned on. (You can see this in the small PNGs
sent along with the original post.) With nonzero-extent time signatures we
wind up with notes being pushed slightly to the right of where they should
begin in order to accommodate the X-extent of time signatures that come
between notes.

Other than that there's no particular allure to the zero-extent time
signatures: they're just the mechanism I was best able to use to achieve
the precision of horizontal layout. Quite happy to solve the problem a
different way if some newer mechanism is recommended.

Probably you should adjust your solution, because Mike's next patch completely
removes lines of music that have only zero-size extents.

If I comment out the following four overrides, the output looks correct to me.

% \override TimeSignature #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0)
% \override TimeSignature #'Y-extent = #'(0 . 0)
% \override TimeSignature #'self-alignment-X = #center
% \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing =
%     #'((basic-distance . 8) (minimum-distance . 8) (padding . 6)
(stretchability . 0))

Notice that basic-distance, etc., take hyphens where you had underscores (and
there are no error messages for typos when setting these low-level options).

If it is important for the bar line to be close to the following note, maybe
something like
   \override TimeSignature #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0.1)