Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:47:38 +0200

2013/9/18 David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Translation workflows don't use our
review system or issue trackers.

And I don't even think they would benefit from it.  If we take a look at
the few reasonably tightly tracked translations (French and Spanish, I
think), I very much doubt that you'd improve the quality of the work of
the respective translators by forcing a web frontend on them.

And I doubt that a crowd-sourced German (say) translation would lead to
a consistent quality _unless_ several people get fully immersed into it
and again work at a level of thoroughness where web/crowdsourced
interfaces get more in the way than anything else.  Program
documentation is not a Wikipedia-like task.

LilyPond documentation is so huge that sometimes I wish that more people could be involved.On the other hand, keeping the documentation consistent in the use of words is harder when several persons are working on it. I think that I like working in a team of two persons, even if this means that translation is proceeding slowly.

Anyway,  I don't know if a web interface would help much (at least for italian translation, as I don't see many users). The problem is translating..  and the quantity of lines to be translated: this is what may scare away potential contributors.
I think also that the average LilyPond user can deal fairly well with unfriendly interfaces :-)
For example, I recently asked the reviewer of my translation to use git[1] to send his corrections to me. He did it right since the beginning, even if he had no experience in commits and patches.

[1] right after receiving 50 .diff files for each file in his previous review :)