Re: Microtonal accidentals

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Microtonal accidentals
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 06:26:22 +0000 (UTC)

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling <at> webdrake.net> writes:

> On 03/11/13 11:20, Hans Aberg wrote:
> > 1. http://www.newmusicbox.org/assets/72/HelmholtzEllisLegend.pdf
> > 2. http://www.marcsabat.com/pdfs/notation.pdf
> > 3. http://www.marcsabat.com/
> > 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation

> [...]
> Short version: in many microtonal notations, the number of enharmonic
pitches is
> expanded -- but Lilypond has no way to represent these enharmonics.

Let's see about that.

Harmonic systems like Helmholtz's and Ben Johnston's introduce a new symbol
for each new prime factor they want to include in the frequency ratios of
the intervals.  Each symbol represents a different size of alteration, so
there are no enharmonic equivalences.

With equal divisions of the octave, we name pitches based on the closest
harmonic pitch.  31-equal-temperament can use names
 { c  cih  cis des  deh  d }  or
 { c deses cis ces cisis d }
for the same set of pitches.  LilyPond distinguishes the enharmonic
equivalents cih and deses in this tuning system just fine.

LilyPond handles 24-equal-temperament with the half-flat symbols
similarly.  Even in atonal music we might prefer one of the spellings deh
or cisih over the other to better show the melodic line.  The notation
using arrows on accidentals might similarly use D-natural-down or C-sharp-
up, whichever choice puts the pitch on a staff-line to best clarify the
melodic line.  LilyPond keeps track.

The arrow notation also gives two options for the half-flat: natural-down-
arrow and flat-up-arrow.  If someone uses both options for the half-flat in
the same piece, LilyPond can keep track of the choice by using a tuning
system that has them at slightly different pitches.

If in addition we ask LilyPond to transpose a melody, containing both C-
natural-down-arrow and a C-flat-up-arrow, down by another arrow,
and if we want these two formerly-distinguished pitches to /both/ be
represented by C-flat, then LilyPond finally needs some help.

In this case we need to explicitly enter a second reference to the flat
glyph into the table of accidental glyphs at the numerical value for the
alteration that is 2 times the down-arrow alteration.