Re: Microtonal accidentals

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Microtonal accidentals
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 09:57:05 +0100

On 07/11/13 22:21, Keith OHara wrote:
The use of two alterations, natural-up and sharp-down, for the same pitch
where the note-head is on the same staff-position is problematic to read.
I would hope that composers choose one glyph and use it consistently
within a piece.

Your notational preferences (and mine) aren't really relevant here. The fact of the matter is that this arrowed notation is one of the two major "standard" forms of quarter-tone notation, so it's a good idea for Lilypond to support it properly in a way that is simple for the user.

This is what I looked into.  It seems to me that systems with finer
intervals are necessarily more frugal and more systematic with the symbols
they use to denote the alterations.  I found no other cases where two
symbols are conventionally used to represent the same alteration.

Some composers have used the half/three-quarter sharp and flat accidentals for quarter-tones while using arrows for eighth-tones. The same issue arises, just for a different set of pitches.