Re: CG: basic cleanup (issue 46120044)

From: graham
Subject: Re: CG: basic cleanup (issue 46120044)
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 06:08:09 +0000

LGTM

https://codereview.appspot.com/46120044/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi
File Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi (left):

https://codereview.appspot.com/46120044/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#oldcode729
Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:729: @end example
On 2014/01/01 05:44:44, Keith wrote:
I have often looked in "Downloading Individual Branches" hoping to
find the
command to download a new branch (such as dev/janek/spacing or
release/2.18)
that has appeared on the repository.

As far as I understand, as long as you began with a git clone (which we
started recommending 1 or 2 years ago, for this reason), you
automatically download the branches.  To see the actual files on your
computer, you just need to checkout the new branch.

(the whole "downloading individual branches" thing arose because in 2005
or so, I wasn't familiar with git and was paranoid about "wasting" my
bandwidth.  No joke, I read slashdot using lynx back then to avoid

If that info is correct, the CG should be changed so that it contains
and is easy to find that info.

https://codereview.appspot.com/46120044/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi
File Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/46120044/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode123
Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:123: command-line version of
Git 1.7 or higher.}
just curious, what changed in git 1.5 vs. 1.7 that's important to these
instructions?

https://codereview.appspot.com/46120044/diff/1/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode1390
Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:1390: @emph{How to resolve
conflicts} in @command{git merge} man page.
I think this is likely to confuse / discourage most new contributors,
but it's certainly an improvement on the previous "this is a stub"
material.

https://codereview.appspot.com/46120044/