Re: Run grand-replace to update copyright

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Run grand-replace to update copyright
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 08:42:59 +0100 (CET)

>> Looks like a mistake in the conversion script.  `2012' should be
>> changed to `2012-2014', of course.
>
> GNU maintainer's guide discourages that:
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html#Copyright-Notices

What exactly does it discourage?

> However, it's also true that the guide says that copyright numbers
> should only be updated if there's a "nontrivial change" to the
> file.

You've misread, I think: The guide doesn't say `file' but `package'.
In general, this means that the copyright of *all* files of the
LilyPond package[*] should be updated.

    Werner

[*] However, not all files distributed with lilypond are also part of
    the package, cf. `texinfo.tex' or `mf2pt1.mp'.