Re: Run grand-replace to update copyright

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Run grand-replace to update copyright
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:52:33 +0800

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 08:42:59AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> >> Looks like a mistake in the conversion script.  `2012' should be
> >> changed to `2012-2014', of course.
> >
> > GNU maintainer's guide discourages that:
> > http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html#Copyright-Notices
>
> What exactly does it discourage?

Perhaps "discourage" is too strong a term:

"You can use a range (‘2008-2010’) instead of listing individual
years (‘2008, 2009, 2010’) if and only if: 1) every year in the
range, inclusive, really is a “copyrightable” year that would be
listed individually; and 2) you make an explicit statement in a
README file about this usage."

> > However, it's also true that the guide says that copyright numbers
> > should only be updated if there's a "nontrivial change" to the
> > file.
>
> You've misread, I think: The guide doesn't say `file' but `package'.
> In general, this means that the copyright of *all* files of the
> LilyPond package[*] should be updated.

I don't get the same impression from that page.  It begins by
saying "You should maintain a proper copyright notice and a
license notice in each nontrivial file in the package."

> [*] However, not all files distributed with lilypond are also part of
>     the package, cf. `texinfo.tex' or `mf2pt1.mp'.

Indeed.