Re: Run grand-replace to update copyright

From: Ben Rudiak-Gould
Subject: Re: Run grand-replace to update copyright
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 00:12:00 -0800

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> Looks like a mistake in the conversion script.  `2012' should be
> changed to `2012-2014', of course.

The purpose of listing the year is to give an indication of when the
copyright will expire. If the last copyrightable change to a document
was in 2012, but the notice says 2014, then you're effectively
claiming copyright for two years longer than you're actually entitled
to. That's why it's not allowed (and invalidates the whole notice).
"2012-2014" has the same problem, since it says (incorrectly) that
some part of the document will still be under copyright after 2012+N.

> You've misread, I think: The guide doesn't say `file' but `package'.
> In general, this means that the copyright of *all* files of the
> LilyPond package should be updated.

It might make sense to update them all if they're all meant to claim
copyright on LilyPond as a whole, but I don't think that's the case
right now. Some of them list different authors, for example.

-- Ben

(Sorry about the top posting last time; I wasn't thinking.)