Re: python/convertrules.ly: Use bare rhythms after ties for simple cases

From: tdanielsmusic
Subject: Re: python/convertrules.ly: Use bare rhythms after ties for simple cases (issue 49470049)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:39:04 +0000

On 2014/01/10 17:53:46, dak wrote:

Now the thing is that if you attach ties to
notes without an intervening space (or at least let them stand if they
were so
before), we have possibilities

r8 e4 d c8~ | c8 b16 a b8 g~ g2 |
r8 e4 d c8~ | 8 b16 a b8 g~2 |

  r8 e4 d c8~ | 8 b16 a b8 g~ 2 |  % my preference

I am actually most worried about things like

r8 e4 d c8-.->~ | 8 c8 b16 a b8 g-.->~4~4 |

  r8 e4 d c8-.->~ | 8 c8 b16 a b8 g-.->~ 4~ 4 |  % my preference

which I considered to read better as

r8 e4 d c8-.-> ~ | 8 c8 b16 a b8 g-.-> ~ 4 ~ 4 |

Obviously, the point of this full patch is to figure out where we want
the rules to go.  It's also conceivable to do a "space after ~ only if
there was one before" rule.

My preference would be no space before ties, one space after.
That leaves ties properly associated with the note to which
they are a post event, but with a clear separation from the
following note.

On 2014/01/10 17:35:11, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> This is wrong.  Why should we not use the
> new facility you introduced in 2.19 and
> let the first note specify the octave?

The question is rather why this file is marked "version 2.16.0".  Oh
wait,
because this \relative conversion was _not_ applied to the learning
manual.  So
yes, the upgrade from 2.16.0 _will_ require using \relative c' here.
Which is
correct.

It's wrong because the change puts the notes into a
different octave than before.  The conversion doesn't
work going backwards (nor should it be expected to).

It would seem that when you added the respective template lines, you
should have
updated the version number of the file as well.

With hindsight.  But we never do that when editing
doc files as a rule.

Now of course, in analogy to the last conversion, I should exempt the
learning
manual from this automatic conversion.  But you still should fix the
version
header to 2.18.0 or so, assuming that no other rules applied.

OK.  I'll do that.

Trevor

https://codereview.appspot.com/49470049/