Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by ad

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: absolute pitch entry: accept an offset octave (issue 235010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 02:04:51 -0400

> On May 6, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> So, I think I'm in favor of the proposal, but with a name change away from
> \absolute.

I agree about a name change since absolute doesn't really describe this entry
mode very well.

What if \absolute were changed to something less, well, absolute?  Something
along these lines, just to brainstorm a bit:

\fixed
\constant
\consistent
\regular
\anchored
\nonrelative
\invariable
\steady
\uniform

(ok probably not some of those…)

Something like that would work well with an argument — the reference octave the
input is fixed to, constant in relation to, etc. — and would still make sense
without an argument.  It would keep it to just two entry modes.  It would sound
more like an entry mode than \octave does, and retain the parallel/contrast
with relative and the sense of “being impervious to enclosing \relative
statements” that David mentions.

At any rate, although you can achieve this with \transpose there’s something
nice (semantically) about using transpose only for actual transposition
purposes and not having to use it for note entry purposes.

-Paul