Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 address@hidden)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 22:12:33 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote Monday, May 18, 2015 8:41 PM

>> BTW dear lazylist: where do you have the 'ñ' on your keyboards?
>
> Like most diacritics, in France it involves first typing AltGr+é for
> the tilda, then adding the "n" separately.

We don't have it anywhere on the English keyboard.

After a bit of research
(eg see http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards.asp)
on my laptop I have to hold down the Alt key and the Fn key, and
type JOU, which is actually 164 with the Fn key pressed.
(It would be 164 on the numeric key pad, but my laptop doesn't have
one.  The Fn key simulates one using 10 letter keys.  Instead
of holding down Fn I could press Num Lk which does the same thing.)

And here it is:  ñ

Alternatively I could fire up the character map which is hidden in
All Programs/Accessories/System Tools, hunt for the character
in the required font, and cut and paste it.

Here it is: ñ

The only characters under Alt Gr are acute accent vowels: áéíóú.
No idea what code is generated.  Pretty sure it isn't unicode.

You can see why we seem to be lazy ;)

Trevor