Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 by address@hidden)

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Add French-specific note names (issue 239930043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 22:51:28 +0200

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:52 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> We are recommending "español" over "espanol"?  Says who?

Sorry. I should have said: we’re _likely_ to recommend "español" over
"espanol" in the future, now that the syntax allows it. You said
yourself that people had been getting annoyed at "espanol" in the
past.

> Where do you get the "non-recommended" idea?

I was drawing a parallel with what we’ve been doing for the past year
regarding \language: we’re using \language everywhere in the docs and
regtests, and \include "mylanguage.ly" isn’t even documented anywhere;
however, the old syntax is still supported for now.

Likewise, we’ve been recommending that people use \relative c' {}
rather than \relative {} (with an implicit c) for a number of years
before retiring the implicit syntax and replacing it with a new
meaning.

So, my guess would be that we *could* start recommending \language
"español" rather than \language "espanol" since both syntaxes have
been available for some time now, and both will still work anyway for
the time being.

Unless the non-ASCII chars are a problem, of course.

Cheers,
Valentin.