Re: git-cl upload has stopped working (so has patchy)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: git-cl upload has stopped working (so has patchy)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 16:08:08 +0200

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

> Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:
>
>> The next step is to decide our preference: do we want to take on the
>> commitment to maintain Allura ourselves or use the maintained version at
>> SourceForge.  Which would we prefer?  (FWIW my preference would be
>> to run Allura at Savannah as our primary DB, with a backup being maintained
>> at SF, which I would be happy to do on a monthly basis.)
>
> I just read the threads since March on this topic.
> I'm not willing to help with administration, so appreciate everyone who is.
> If running Allura on savannah.gnu.org is possible that does seem best.
>
> There is another fallback in the native bug-tracking on Savane.
> It does handle a larger project
>  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave
> and accepts images, but you have to click the attachment links to see them
>  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=28346
> The user interface is nostalgic, but usable.

I think the main problem with that is the lack of an API which means
that we'll never be able to get the kind of automatic bug report
handling that we had with git-cl, test-patchy, accept/reject-patch.

debbugs.gnu.org in contrast (see for example
<URL:http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guile>) is
_really_ "nostalgic" (making navigation a chore) but the control API
consists in sending mails to a control server.  Which should be easy to
do from a workstation.  Admittedly, virtual environments don't
necessarily have a working mail transport configured.

The mail-based API means that we don't suddenly are left with
inoperative software like now: the whole authentication stuff is handled
by the respective mail systems rather than some libraries.

I don't particularly like debbugs, but it's also used for some
Savannah-hosted projects.