Re: Beautify Grob_array and stop using std::vector::data() (issue 264950

From: dak
Subject: Re: Beautify Grob_array and stop using std::vector::data() (issue 264950043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 13:45:35 +0000

On 2015/09/05 13:11:23, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2015/09/05 13:08:02, Dan Eble wrote:
> On 2015/09/03 08:49:13, dak wrote:
> > On 2015/09/02 23:27:41, Dan Eble wrote:
> >
> > > If the sorting criterion uses attributes of the Grob that are
changed by
> > > replacement, the array might not be sorted afterward (or might
be sorted
> when
> > it
> > > wasn't before).  Grob_array does not appear to dictate the
sorting
> criterion.
> >
> > So the routine should reset the "sorted" flag when any changes are
made?

Correction, "ordered_".

> Maybe; but it didn't before, and I don't want to deal with the
consequences of
> changing the logic.  With your consent, I'd like to move the ticket
along to
> "countdown."

Correction: I'd like your consent to push it.  It was already listed
in
"Countdown" in James' email of Sep. 2, but the ticket was out of date.

You are replacing one-shot code with general facilities here.  If the
circumstances of the one-shot code happen not to trigger a particular
problem in a visible manner, that does not mean that this will hold the
same for other future uses of the facility.  So it's better to make sure
that a routine does what it claims to do under its claimed preconditions
now while it is fresh.  It will be much more troublesome to figure out
the culprit when this indeed should become a problem eventually and the
code is "long-standing".

https://codereview.appspot.com/264950043/